Friday, April 11, 2008

Please leave if [vol. 6]: Brett Dennen

Brett Dennen is a TripperYep, it's that time again. After a long hiatus, Friday Exclusion days are back with a bang. Today we are going to kick out Brett Dennen and all his followers.

First, I don't object to Brett's music. In fact, I think it's great. Catchy, jazzy, and I like his raspy voice. Plus his hairstyle is wonderful. He's one step away from being the next Mike Score from Flock of Seagulls. "She's Mine" is cuper-cute, and I wouldn't mind crooning it to a special somone myself.

Flock of Seagulls: The Silly Hair of Mike Score No, it's when he sings, "There ain't no reason things are this way," that I cringe and wish he didn't get stuck in my head so easy.

The verses of "Ain't No Reason" feel like lists of generally bad things that anyone could make. Prisons, war, greed, sleezy politicians, poverty. No one likes these things. Tell us something new Brett. His lyrics are vague and I have a hard time figuring out really what he's saying is going wrong and why.

The chorus which binds these verses together fails to take a stand. "I can't explain why we live this way, we do it everyday." Thanks man, that's helpful.

The messiah of this vaguely bad world that we live in is a "love" that is just as vague. Love has a lot of uses in the English language. Is it our love of pizza that's going to set us free, Brett? Or is it the passionate love we make all night long that we should try to follow? One leads obesity, the other gives STDs. I think I'll search a little harder.

If you're going to take a stand against the broken state of the world, at least try to be a little more concrete. Peace out Brett, I hope you find what you're looking for.