Thursday, April 10, 2008

At a coffee shop reading Seeds of Contemplation

Joe Bunting Solitude

I love these times: sitting in public with nothing in particular to do, stress-less, reading a book, listening to music. I said to Brett, "This songs sounds different here. I feel like I've never heard it before." He nodded absently. His mind was elsewhere.


When driving to a coffee shop hitchhikers look more friendly, and helping out a stranded driver is easy:


I once passed you
Looking for a ride on a Sunday morning
On my way to Christ the King.
I was late.
I didn't stop.

On my way to Java Jones you
Were stuck in the middle of the street
On a black night, car stalled,
Emergency lights on.
I rolled my window down
And interrupted your frustration.
You said you didn't need help.
I told you to take care.

Sometimes I'll take walks to relieve my mind and stretch my legs. With my iPod singing to me, the bright city streets become a playground for my eyes. The parking lots of the day are nighttime castles to explore. A dead end alley is a new challenge.

And then I'm back, back with my mocha in one hand my book in the other. Warm and comfortable in a red plushy chair. I've done my sightseeing. My mind has been stretched and rested, and I can get back to my coffee shop work.