Monday, April 14, 2008

Customer Service: Part I

Brett Stuvland Looking FriendlyYesterday at work I talked to a guy who wanted my company to send him an important document he needed for his taxes. He had lost his. Unfortunately, we didn't have it so I was polite and helpful and gave him the phone number for customer service where he could get a copy mailed to him. "Also, sir, you can go to our website, create an account, and view get all your documents there."

He wasn't having it. Instead of making the 8 minute phone call he told me to get him his document. Without asking, he assumed that I had nothing better to do, and told me to do it for him. On top of that, he was going to be leaving his office soon, so I had 30 minutes to get it done.

"Who does he think is?! This isn't my job!" I thought. I was pissed. I had no interest in helping this jerk.

But I did. I dropped everything I was doing to help him. Unfortunately, I realized after hanging up that I didn't have all the information I needed to help him. So I had to call him back.

The first time I talked to him I was polite and friendly. This time I was brisk and businesslike. I would never be rude to a customer, but I didn't have to be nice.


Part II tomorrow.