Monday, May 19, 2008

What I Hate

I'm doing some blog logistics today. For my blogging friends, here's what I've been reading to improve my blog today:

  • Men with Pens. In their series Drive by Shooting Sundays they ruthlessly ripping into people's blog design. If you only have time to read one, read this one, it's my favorite.
  • Seth Godin's blog has very crisp clean design and is what I looked at when I first started blogging 87 posts ago. Go to his blog and click on his head. What a tripper.
  • I thought long and hard about Darren's idea about writing "pillar" articles that can attract a variety of readers. He defines pillar articles as long tutorials, but I think they can be any longer article (500+ words) that can be useful to a large audience. What do you think about them? Darren's article might take a little time for you to sift through, but I found it helpful. You can find it here.
  • If you're just starting or want to do a few things to improve your blog, check out the guide, Blogging for Beginners by Problogger. Some good stuff, but it's hard to know how to apply their tips to every blog.

While reading these things, especially the Drive by Shooting Sundays series, I finally decided to make the switch from Blogger to Wordpress. Blogger has some annoying features, especially the lack of trackback and the unfriendly comment section. I tried to get around it with Haloscan, but I haven't been very impressed with that either. Blogger has been good to me. I wouldn't have gotten into blogging without it, but it's time to upgrade though. I'll be moving to www.joebunting.com soon.

I hate doing this stuff. All the research, making changes, the logistics. It wears me out. I'd much rather delegate it to someone else, but right now, it's falling on my shoulders.

I do like talking about it and helping people with their blogs. If you have a question or want my advice just leave a comment and make sure to type your email in the form. I'll get back to you quick.