I'm in a coffee shop in South Lake Tahoe City reading Dante's Inferno and staring at the tall pine trees and beautiful, snow covered peaks.
At 8:45 am on Monday, March 31, Priscilla and I packed our stuff into my little Honda Civic and began our eight plus hour trip to Lake Tahoe for a week full of snow sports and relaxation. So many times this past year I have dreamt of a road trip. Sitting at my desk at work, I have longed for brown valleys and straight roads. Finally, my thirst for the highway was quenched. At least for a bit.
We passed a few interesting, almost poetic sights on the road. For example, there was an albino cow with orange spots in a dry and deserty ravine. On one sparsely populated highway we saw a tan, half-Native American looking hitchhiker taking a break from thumbing, gazing breathlessly at a huge, mustard-grass-covered hill. I felt like I was in Grapes of Wrath.
On Wednesday, I got an idea for a novel/novella. It's about sex, but not in a tawdry sort of way. It's more about sin and morality. In consequence, I drove 40 mins. yesterday to Carson City, NE, to pick up Dante's Divine Comedy and Milton's Paradise Lost.
I'm loving Inferno. I'm surprised I'm not having more trouble with it. I always had a tough time with epic poems in college.
I'll tell you more about it later.
PS I know it's Friday and that I haven't excluded today, but I'm going to have to put it off until next week. I'm just in too good of a mood to ask anyone to leave today.
Friday, April 4, 2008
Tahoe
Subscribe to:
Comment Feed (RSS)
|